Let me start this by saying, I am a complete lover of all things natural, ESPECIALLY beauty and skincare products. Unfortunately, due to brands having to mass produce their products and ship them out to sell, a lot of beauty and skincare products tend to have artificial preservatives and other toxic chemicals in them, that can sometimes do more damage than good.
The other problem is, when you DO run into a brand that does use all natural ingredients, they charge you an arm and a leg for simply doing what's RIGHT. Okay, okay. I understand that natural ingredients, and formulating those natural ingredients into a good product may cost you some extra coins, but why does buying a shampoo, conditioner, and styling product have to leave me down almost $40-$50? I mean seriously? This is why a lot of naturalistas will take the frugal way out and purchase the product with the formaldehyde-derived preservative.
It's less of a strain on your pocket, you think a little bad won't hurt, and honestly you just want something to keep your twist out looking cute for the time being. I have to admit, I have sometimes taken the easy way out too, but for the most part I stick to all natural brands.
As far as styling, I eventually started making my own products. And I do that by making a whipped butter concoction that leaves my hair SUPER soft, shiny and moisturized. I also use flax seed gel to give me BOMB definition and additional luster!
One of my favorite styles do this with is a Flat Twist & Curl. Flat Twists give you definition from roots to ends, and adding perm rods to the ends, just gives you even more of a pop!
The recipe for the Flax Seed Gel and Whipped Butter -not exactly mine, but a general recipe that you can moderate as you see fit- is listed below as well as a video tutorial using both products, pics of the results, and pics of the definition holding up days after ! ---->
|Shine & Definition from the use of Flax Seed Gel & Perm Rods.|
4 tbs of Flax seed
2 cups of water
-Let flax seed and water boil in pot until the flax seeds rise to the top and the water becomes foamy.
-Remember the longer you let it boil, the thicker the consistency will be!
CAUTION: Flax seed gel should be hot, be very careful before doing the next direction.
- Pour flax seed gel into a strainer or CLEAN stocking and strain flax seed gel into a bowl, making sure not to get any flax seed in the bowl.
- Add penetrating oils such as Vitamin E. olive oil or coconut oil. If using coconut oil, be sure to get Non-GMO liquid coconut oil, that does not have to be heated to become liquid. They sell this at grocery stores, and Walgreens.
Additional: For extra hold, add honey. Honey also works as a preservative, as well as the Vitamin E.
P.S: I have found that my Flax seed gel still lasts about a week with or without Vitamin E and/or Honey when stored in a refrigerator.
Whipped Butter Recipe:
3/4 cup of Shea Butter
1/2 cup of another butter of your choice
1 tbsp of solid Coconut oil
- Place ingredients in a Pyrex.
- Fill a pot with approx. 1 cup of water/
- Place Pyrex pitcher in pot.
-Boil on a medium temperature until ingredients melt.
- Pour contents into a stand mixer bowl.
Depending on the consistency you want
- Any oils of your choice to give it the consistency and moisture you want.
Some penetrating/moisturizing oils are olive oil, coconut oil, and jojoba oil. The rest are usually just sealing oils.
- 2 drops of a natural fragrance of your choice.
Side note: I usually eyeball the mixture, sometimes it can be too milky from excess oils, and I might want it a little thicker. In this case, I will add a little mango butter, which is a more solid butter. This works well at thickening your butter up if you added too many oils.
- Let stand mixer mix the oils and butter for approximately 15 minutes.
- Place bowl in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes or until oils and butter begin to slight solidify and take on a white appearance.
- Place bowl back on stand mixer and let it whip until it looks like pudding or batter.
- Pour in jar.
- Enjoy your butter !
Here's pic of mine :
Additional Snap Shots of my definition :
|Smile! Your hair looks great!|
|Sorry I look so glum, I was making my bed, then remembered I had no side shots of my hair. So random.|
My hair 2-3 days later (iPhone pic w/ bad lighting lol) :
|Blurry iPhone pic, GREAT hair.|
And in an up-do (better lighted iPhone pic) :
|Looking like a Jersey Belle <3|
Both of these pics are on my Instagram btw :)
Okay toots! Looking forward to blogging PLENTY more! I think I love it!